Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Girl with a Pearl Earring

Girl with a Pearl Earring
by Tracy Chevalier

I sat in my car for an hour listening to the final stages of this novel. I just wanted to know what would happen to the protagonist. (I think that's the right word for the main character.)

This unabridged version kept wandering into my mind in the night. If it was a movie it would be hard to define it. Drama? Suspense? Certainly not a thriller or a family movie. I guess it's easier to just say historical fiction. But that seems to vague.

Throughout the narration, I kept thinking that this girl was very introspective and had high meta-cognitive skills. But she wasn't the smartest girl. She was clever--but sometimes she should have seen it coming when she just didn't.

She was also artistic. I kept waiting for her to get her hands on a paintbrush. I kept wanting her to go to art school. But I guess girls didn't do much of that in those days.

I wonder when this was written and if the author wanted you to want that for the girl.

Anyways: Good book. Too long. Recommended for college aged or for married due to sexual content, innuendos, and implications.

No comments: